Monday, December 15, 2008

Wiederkehr Niagra - Our Friends In Arkansas

Let me begin by saying that a lot of folks like this wine, and at absolute rock-bottom prices (about 5 clams) it is hard not to like.
Unfortunately, the price reflects the underlying reality that this is just a very mediocre wine.To be polite, I would say that upon decanting the bottle I noticed a barnyard aroma. To be less polite, I would say that I was reminded of Athlete's Foot which leads me to believe that my bottle was suffering from a fungal infection issue.
Since God is not only Just, but Merciful as well, I will note that a second and then a third glass left me with an altogether more positive feeling for the product. Nonetheless, it strikes me that paralyzing the frontal lobe should not be a prerequisite to enjoying a glass of wine.
On the other hand, the wine really is cheap, and I mean cheap not "inexpensive", so it might make a good stocking stuffer. Plus it is always a good thing to support our home team. Just be aware that this one is not quite ready for prime time.

No comments:

Post a Comment