Monday, December 15, 2008

Stone Bluff Maria

Don't you hate it when poxy wine critics say that a given wine is "fun"? What the fuck does that mean? And how condescending of them. The last wine I drank that I would describe as genuinely "fun" was a bottle of warm Cold Duck when I was 16 years old and with a lady who was truly sick of her husband. Now that was fun wine.
But Stone Bluff's Maria really is fun. And delicious. I gave a glass to my teetotaler mother and asked her how it smelled and she said it smelled like "a sunset"....being synaesthetic myself this made perfect sense to me, but for those of you not so neurologically gifted let me translate. It means it smells durn good.
Stone Bluff describes this as a light wine, leaving me to wonder what they would call a heavy one. This is very flavorful and exciting. I don't know if it is quite a "sunset" or not but for sure it is a wine you would like to share with someone you were very fond of. It is slightly sweet but far from cloying....good for dinner or just by itself. Lovely deep ruby color, too. Blows Stone Bluff's Chardonel away.

No comments:

Post a Comment